The Assistant Teachers at The Kenworthy School are community builders and essential members of the school family. They partner with families; they know the spark that ignites a love of learning; they teach the skills that cultivate resilience, and each Assistant Teacher builds that strong personal connection that allows each Kenworthy Kid to embrace joy!
The Assistant Teacher is important in maintaining the culture and standards of the school in an encouraging and helpful style. By personality (s)he is self motivated, organized, detail oriented with proven interpersonal skills, and inspires parents, children and colleagues. The Kenworthy Assistant Teacher demonstrates creative and successful problem solving skills, enduring support of the school mission and is accessible to colleagues, parents and administration.
The Kenworthy Assistant Teacher is child centered and grows in skills of self regulation modeling the behavior we want for children with the goal of being the change we want to see in the world. The Kenworthy School Assistant Teacher is knowledgeable and comfortable with the skills, strategies and behaviors of Conscious Discipline and Frog Street Curriculum and reliably and accurately implements the goals, strategies and teaching skills aligned with the curriculum.
Additionally the Assistant Teacher shares information positively about the school curriculum and learning opportunities for children, the competencies and excellence of other faculty members, the culture of the school and the guidelines and policies of the school with parents and prospective parents. This person is supportive in ways that contribute to the success of the educational community. The Assistant Teacher is trusted to keep confidences.
The Assistant Teacher enjoys being helpful and supportive and looks for ways to make a positive difference in the lives of all in the Kenworthy School community. The Assistant Teacher has boundless energy to guide children to success. The Assistant Teacher is a major standard bearer for the school’s mission and is vigilant in managing the classroom within DFPS guidelines for Minimum Standards for quality care at all times.
Minimum Education Requirement
High School Diploma or GED
Experience working with children in a child care or home care setting.
- The Assistant Teacher may work an eight hour day or may opt for a part time schedule with leave time and paid holidays as described in the Faculty Staff Agreement (contract)
- Has scheduled breaks and planning time as part of daily schedule
- Attends occasional after hour meetings, trainings and social events
- May opt for additional hours of responsibilities for additional pay as requested
Is paid according to the Assistant Teacher Compensation Agreement based on education, experience, and assignment.
Kenworthy Assistant Teacher Position Requirements
All Kenworthy School faculty and staff must meet the following:
- Texas State Requirements
- Meet the requirements of the DFPS of the State of Texas
- Red Cross and CPR Certification
- Preservice Training and 24 Annual Hours Training in position related information
- Faculty and Staff members have good references, are screened through the DFPS required abuse registry, and a local law (background) check
Kenworthy School Guidelines for Faculty and Staff
- The Assistant Teacher provides safe, healthy, inviting classroom learning environment for students, parents, and faculty, and is vigilant that all children are in direct supervision at all times.
- The Assistant Teacher is vigilant in managing the classroom within DFPS guidelines for Minimum Standards for quality care at all times.
- The Assistant Teacher’s behavior and language demonstrate enjoyment of work with children, energy for making the school an even better school family and connection and positive interactions with colleagues, administration and the parent community
The Assistant Teacher is knowledgeable of and cooperates with:
- Commitment to the school mission statement
- All programs and learning guidelines of The Kenworthy School
- All guidelines and standards for health and safety of children
- Concierge Program
- Keeping all furniture, toys, curriculum materials, art supplies and storage areas clean and in good repair
- Requirements for the school food program as implemented in the classroom
- All components of the school curriculum
- Playground and outside play guidelines
- Mentoring and support of colleagues
General Qualifications for Employment at The Kenworthy School
- Ability to respond immediately to emergency situations
- Ability to handle crisis situations, especially where children are involved
- Ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid
- Ability to see and read newsprint, with or without corrective lenses
- Ability to speak and be understood under normal circumstances
- Ability to lift and carry children and other items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to use arms, hands, legs, and feet, with or without corrective devices; this includes the ability to evacuate the building during emergencies